Monday, January 20, 2014

Cheap and Healthy Meals part two

See previous post for what I base this on

Veggie Not Beef Stew

Buy All unsalted canned or fresh veggies
all Great Value brand under a dollar:
1 15 oz. Large Can Tomato Sauce
1 can carrots
1 can greenbeans
1 can corn
1 can potato
1 lb ground lean turkey meat
Great Value box Beef broth
1/2 cup chopped frozen onions
Garlic Powder
2 small cans chopped green chilles
2 pkgs Mexican corn bread

Do not drain, combine all cans and start to warm in stock pot
1/2 cup beef stock
brown meat with onions and add 1 tbs garlic powder
add meat to soup
Bring to a boil, then simmer 20-30 minutes
make corn bread as directed but add green chilles in batter

Kids make mini pizzas
2 pkgs whole wheat english muffins
1 jar Great Value Pizza Sauce
1-2 pkgs Great Value Italian shredded cheese
Chopped vegetables of your choice or ground hamburger
I have also done the mexican version with hot sauce instead taco seasoning in the meat and cheddar cheese

Hamburger Steak
1 lb Harvest Lean Ground Turkey
2 Tbs Great Value Worsteshire sauce
1 pkg Great Value dried onion soup mix
Salt and Pepper
1 box Great Value Brown Rice

mix in worsteshire sauce  and half a packet into into raw meat and form patties in your hands. Sprinkle just a bit of pepper on top
I like to use my George Foreman grill for this but have also done them in the oven
They are done within five minutes on the grill but more like 20 in the oven
Make rice as directed and serve meat on top and pour juices with it. My husband likes to add more worsteshire in his rice.
Serve with salad or vegetable. I do green beans a lot with a hair of garlic salt in it and have done broiled asparagus but found I am the only one that appreciates it.

Quesadillas Healthy Style
Use Great Value Cardio Light Butter for everything.
2 packages whole wheat tortillas
1 pkg Great Value Fiesta shredded cheese mix
Sometimes I buy the prepackaged grilled chicken and add but mostly we just do cheese and have chips and hot sauce with it

Mac n tuna
1 pkg Whole Wheat Elbow Macc
1 pkg either velveeta or deli cheaddar and shred or cube.
Add Cheese to boiled pasta
when well mixed add a large can of white albacore tuna in water, of course Great value brand everything.
My kids think the tuna is chicken, I just let them be Jessica Simpson on that one.

Beef Not Stroganoff
1 lb ground lean turkey
1/2 cup frozen chopped onions
1/2 pkg dried onion soup mx
1 family size can fatfree low sodium cream of mushroom soup
1 1 pkg whole wheat noodles
1 can 2%, skim if you can handle it milk
Brown meat with onions
mix soups and milk and then add in cooked meat
boil pasta as directed
serve mixture over pasta

Chicken Pot Pie
1 Premade pie crust in pie pan
1 family size great value fat free low sodium cream of ck
2  cans large great value white chunk chicken
2 cans great value mixed vegetables
1/2 can milk
2 Tbs pepper
1 refrigerated cut pie crust
Mix all ingredients
place in pie tin
top with ref. crust
spread butter on top
place foil or pie guard on the edges
bake at 350 for 30 minutes
You can also use great value grands biscuits just on top for less bread, I just prefer the crust

Ive got more coming and a whole different list just for summer, I may wait til then to post those.
I also want to add that we only drink milk or water at dinner unless its friday night pizza night. We were gifted a soda maker we use for those nights. I don't by cold drinks. I send v8 fusion for lunch with my kids and we sometimes use that at breakfast on the weekends. I am somewhat of a food natzi. I don't buy sugar cereals. We have whole grain waffles, yogurt and granola, wheat toast, or eggs and bacon for breakfast. I also buy smart snacks and always have fruit on hand. I have learned it is also cheapest at walmart and we eat it too fast for it to ever go bad. I can do a whole post on snacks. Hope some of this helps!

No comments: