Monday, January 20, 2014

Cheap and Healthy Meals

I try to make it a rule not to spend over $10 a meal on my family of five. I have a husband, ten year old boy who eats like an adult, an eight year old daughter who eats about half of what he does and an almost four year old boy who eats more like the eight year old, and then there is me.  I do small portions. I switched my family over about two years ago to all ground turkey instead of beef, or ham, and to all multi-grain and/or whole grain for snacks and breads. I mostly shop at Walmart. I find that their brand is cheaper than using a coupon on most items but for some  I do take an ad to price match.  I want to share a few recipes that we do often which are very inexpensive as well as healthy and easy to fix.

Tonight we are having Cream Garlic Chicken served over Bow Tie Pasta

3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 c Great Value Cream of Ck
1 c Great Value Cream of Mushroom
1 c 2% milk
1 cup Great Value brand frozen chopped onion
3 Tbs Garlic Powder
2 Tbs Italian seasoning
Barilli Multigrain Bow Tie Pasta
1 pkg Great Value Grated Parmesean cheese

Combine all ingredients in crockpot
cook five hours at 2nd setting
Boil Pasta as directed
Stir in 1 Tbs butter and 1/2 c grated parm with 1 Tbs Italian seasoning
Serve several spoonfuls over pasta

Cheese crust Chicken
4-5 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1  box whole grain goldfish or whole grain cheese nips
1 small carton fat free Great Value brand sour cream
2 cans Great Value Green beans as the side along with buttered whole grain bread

Coat ck in sour cream
add cardio great value butter melted to a quart size ziplock of crushed crackers
spoon over chicken, flip and spoon over top
Cook at 350 for approx 40 min, check to see if crisp
Serve with a side veggie or salad

Ham and veggies
1/2 Harvest Turkey Ham
1 pkg cloves
1 can Great Value Pineapple chunks or rings
1 box whole grain maccaronni
Cubed chedder cheese

poke ham with several cloves and cover in pineapple juice and pieces
warm in oven for about 30 minutes
boil pasta and drain
add cheese
serve together, sometimes I do a green veggie like green beans or with bbq red beans

Healthy Spaghetti
use whole grain pasta and cooked ground turkey in a a low sodium sauce

Dill Salmon and Potatoes
1-2 pkgs frozen Salmon at Walmart
1 bottle lemon dill sauce
1 bag red potatoes

slice and or cube rinsed potatoes
add 1 stick butter
stir in italian seasoning and garlic salt to taste
bake 30 minutes t 350
Broil for 10 minutes and

defrost in warm water
cover in sauce and bake according to directions on pkg. It is not a long time maybe 15-20 minutes
until it is flaky


More to come..... gotta go serve the first one listed!


No comments: