Wednesday, June 27, 2012

AHS Seniors 1992!

Here we are proud and true, senior class of '92!

Well had my 20th highschool reunion last weekend! I actually contemplated not going b/c I see my friends fairly often. Most of them still live in the metroplex but after hearing that the three that don't would be flying in, I was for sure in!!

We are a random rare little group of people! We got really close by our senior year, which I think we all decided should be attributed to Young Life. We are still in contact with our leaders, who have attended several of our Christmas parties and made it to our pre-party as well for the reunion! We used to take a camping trip together every summer until most of us were married off or had moved away :( Lots of great memories even after highschool!

Every time we get together we revert right back to being about 17 years old again. Never akward, like no time has passed. This weekend was no exception!

My friend Heather, is still in Fort Worth. Her dad is still in the house she grew up in, which is also where we seemed to end up after whatever adventure we had been on back in the day. Her sweet Dad, took off on a road trip and left us his house with a ton of food and nice beverages ;) We all rode together in Heather's mini van from here, should have gotten a pic of that! Then we came back and had a slumber party, guys included, and stayed up until about 4 laughing and watching videos. Our friend Linnea and Thea brought breakfast and coffee to us in the morning and the laughter continued! Her dad also arranged for us to be able to swim at the Elks Lodge so our kids could play together too.

We went to another gathering Saturday night in an area of Ft.Worth that is new to me and SO COOL!!! Man, I wish I still lived in that area! That night we all (girls) made our name tags to read the last name Shaw and decided we would pretend to be Sister Wives with Joel (who also was my prom date) being our common husband! When that gig was up we switched around true nametags. Same old goofy bunch! My friend John had come and gotten me and then drove me around the area to see how things had changed. It was great to have time with just him catching up.

That night I realized there were so many people that I had really not gotten to know of which I had known my whole life! I guess that happens in a big city and when you graduate with over 700 people! Sad none the less though.

The next evening Heather had us once again but minus two travelers Maria and Joel and Holly who had left for YL camp, for fajitas and dessert. We were all a tad more mellow. It turns out staying up all night takes a toll on 38 year old bodies as compared to our 18 year old ones! Here are few pics from the festivities. I hope blogger actually cooperates and posts.





2 comments:

Alyssa said...

Oh so fun!! My reunion is this October!! Super excited about it! And our senior 1992 chant from Wylie High, Abilene, Texas was not as nice as yours in Arlington!

Lisa Renee said...

from heather via email, I thought she had a great take on 'us'
Since there are about 20 pictures here, I am going to send them in a series of e-mails. This first set is from Friday. Before you open these, I have to share some mushy sentiments. I don't do this very often so bear with me, but don't get used to it...

It was so great seeing all of you this weekend. When I got home and went through the photos, I began to ponder what makes our relationship so unique that we can go years sometimes without talking and then pick up a conversation like we have just visited yesterday. Or why all of us getting together feels so comfortable. Suddenly a line from A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens popped into my head. You probably already know how it goes, "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. It was a time of wisdom, it was a time of foolishness". We went through those wonderfully awful years of junior high, high school, and college together. So really, we grew up together. We know the good, the bad, and the ugly about each other and we love each other anyway. There's never a reason to pretend we're something we are not and no one to pretend it to because we were all there. We saw each other through our mistakes as well as our accomplishments.

When my Mom died I experienced firsthand that when I fall, you will be there to pick me up. You may not know this, but every single one of you turned out to support me through Mom's visitation and funeral. The ones of you who lived too far to make it sent your families in your place. It was the darkest time in my life and your being there means more than you will ever know. God blessed me immensely when he gave me all of you.

I love you all,
Heather

Ps - Deawn and Aaron, we missed you this weekend. You need to be there next time