Saturday, November 22, 2008

Twas the week before Thanksgiving...

I am about to tackle getting in the attic to put up Halloween and get down a few Christmas things. I am actually a little sad to do it because as I have stated before, it is our tradition to do this Thanksgiving night but we will be leaving early that morning for the metroplex. I do not want to come home to have all that to do and I am actually going to wrap presents today b/c I have no more room to hide them! I just really want to relish in the idea of Thanksgiving a little longer and feel that society is so caught up in the "Give Me" and materialism they have made Christmas out to be, that being thankful is lost! Thanksgiving is completely looked over these days. Costumes come out of the store and the huge Tree goes up! At least in school our children are still taught about it and I think as adults we should be more reminded of it.

School is going great for the kids. I continue to be more than impressed by our pre-school. This is our second year to be there but the pre-K is just blowing me away. Every year that we have been doing this pre-school thing we have been blessed with not just a good teacher but an INCREDIBLE one! I fully believe that this is not by coincidence and God has his hand all over it! Ty is not only learning memory verses and Bible stories but also his alphabet in English, Spanish, and Sign Language along with phonics and words. He also has learned the states in alphabetical order. He loves to write things out on his magnadoodle and is sounding out words that he sees all around him! He can count to one hundred and is learning to tell time. Wow. I don't know how they do it and in such a fun loving way.

I have also been incredibly blessed with a whole new group of people from Calvary whom I have gotten to know even better this year. God has placed some really neat people in my life from there and I am very grateful. I have really enjoyed getting to know people my age with children the same ages. When we first moved here it was evident that I was the minority in being 29 with no children. Also, the majority of the people I was getting to know all either grew up together or were close friends from college, kind of the way things had always been for me up until we moved! It was weird starting over. Don't get me wrong... I am also very blessed by my younger more recent friends too in ways that I could not have known. We were just in such a different place for a while with me having been in the professional world for quite some time before even getting married let alone having children. There are several mothers and teachers at Calvary that I have a lot in common with and am so enjoying their company! I know that this is a temporary environment for me but am hoping to make some lasting friendships from the circumstance. I believe that God has also placed these people in my life who have not only encouraged me but have kept me accountable as well.

Well along with the cold weather we have experienced for the last week, allergies are back in our lives as well! We stayed home from school Thursday because Olivia could not breathe and the high was only 48 with 60 mph winds! I thought it best not to get her out in it. It ended up being a very productive day though. I got all of our laundry done and cleaned the house- well that part lasted only a few hours but you know how that goes! Late that afternoon they both crawled up in my lap and fell asleep on me! That never happens anymore! Especially for Ty but what a precious time for me. These babies are growing into big kids before my eyes and I just feel so much joy in times like these.

On a totally different note, our computer of 11 years died forever last week. I finally get it set up at home and love it for about a whole month and it dies. So its back to the laptop whenever I occassionally have access to it. All this to say that I will be out of the computer world more so again. We will replace it but that is a process.

3 comments:

Chelle said...

Happy decorating, and be safe on your travels.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Jenni at talking hairdryer said...

I just want to say that I'm glad you're finding friends at Calvary. Starting over is so hard. It just takes so much time.
Have a great Thanksgiving week. We're off to visit Honey's family.

1literatimommy said...

I totally agree about Thanksgiving, Lisa. And, it is amazing that Ty is learning so much in preschool. I am truly impressed. It sounds like such a wonderful place to be! You are blessed. I miss your guts, girl!