Has anyone seen the previews for the show coming up in the summer entitled, Fear Itself? The preveiws are very inappropriate to be shown before 8 O'clock! This is from the same people who made Saw, and other horror films. It is to be a different horror film each week. They are comparing it to the way the Twilight Zone was- what a comparison! Like the Twilight Zone was ever graphic or considered to be horror shows!
I am just amazed to what is considered appropriate by our society at this day and time. Everyone who knows me knows I have always loved scary movies. I always went to see the latest one in the theatres and loved the excitement and thrill it brought to me. The down side is that I am not strong enough to endure that and not have nightmares and I let it mess with my mind when my husband is away. Trent started traveling quite extensively with Alamosa/Sprint about three years ago. This is when I really realized the effect scary movies was having on me. About a year before that I had felt convicted by the things I was allowing int my mind that were not only NOT Godly but more the opposite! At that time I decided it was not good for me to see them in the theatre anymore, however I still watched things on regular television and a show on discovery about hauntings.
I have a good friend, the first new one I met when we moved to Lubbock, whom I have coffee with every Wednesday. I absolutely love our conversations and our time together. She shared something with me a few weeks ago that really set heavy on my heart. Something about filling our souls with things that de-sensitize us and are sure to come out of us in one way or another. She was talking about 'taking delight in the sins of others'........sound familiar? She meantioned that with the exception of most reality series almost every show on television is about someone being murdered, adultry, and very graphic at that.
I noticed this especially after having childrent b/c there was not much that could be on after dinner that they should be exposed to at such an early age. Another thing I have realized after having children is that if I don't want them seeing it, saying it, or doing it, I sure better not be either or what kind of example am I setting? But, after I put them to bed some of my favorite shows to watch (when I am able to control the remote when Trent is out of town!) are Law and Order, CSI, and Medium. Okay, as you know these are all about murder. They were exciting to me because of that! I think that would be considered 'taking delight in the sins of others'! Yes, of course I realize these are fictional (mostly) but they are things that happen on a daily basis in our world and why do I need to be seeing it so graphically. I am not talking about sheltering myself from reality, but rather not choosing it as my source of entertainment.
So, from that point on- after thinking about it more and the way it effects me I came to the decision to not watch that stuff anymore and go for comedy or old shows and movies instead. As I have mentioned in previous post, we don't watch just a whole lot of television anymore but its still my 'downtime' especially when I am on my own. I have to say I am a much happier person because of it! You are only afraid if you allow yourself to be or give yourself something to be afraid of! Yes, simple concept but it takes me awhile to realize and then put into action on many things.
I share this only because it might be somthing you have not ever thought about before (like me) in quite this way. I don't judge people who do not make the same decisions as I do. I just feel that God reveals things through friends and this is something that was revealed to me and something He would like me to share with the people I care about.
7 comments:
I feel the same way! As much as I have liked Criminal Minds, I told Andy the other day that I'm done with it. I'm tired of seeing that kind of stuff because the real world is bad enough. Love the post. Now, if only there were shows like "The Cosby Show" on TV again!!
I am amazed how God changes us continually. I too have been convicted about things that I allow my eyes to see. For several years now I have prayed that I will only fill my days with things that bring me closer to God (not causing distance between He & I). To me this includes things that I watch, music that I listen to, things that I read, etc... I pray that I can get my children to do the same. Thanks for the post!
Those are some pretty deep thougths and I don't think I've ever really looked at it from that perspective (sad, huh?) We watched American Gangster last night and I was thinking, "Wow that was such an awesome show!" Again, sad huh? This has certainly been thought provoking!
those are some really deep thoughts, but we need those thoughts. i have had a hard time with scary movies since 9/11. i used to love western shows and now i have a hard time watching them. i am getting better, but still hard. i guess i should quite watching days of our lives then.....what sin is not on that show????
Thank you for the food for thought, Lisa. I am super-protective of what my kids see...even putting away some Disney movies where they back-talk, disobey or are disrespectful. But, I don't have the same criteria for myself. I have cut out a few shows that I felt were too much for me, but the remaining shows I watch leave a lot to be desired!
Good thought Lis-
I feel the same way, I think that is such an easy way for Satan to enter our minds and thoughts and we don't even realize it. It's seems harmless, but really is desenstizing us to sins in this world...
love you!
I had totally just been thinking about this myself! About how I really should not be so entertained by STUPID REALITY SHOWS!!!!!! All they are about is, sex, money, money, adultry, adversity...the list goes on! I realized what I was filling my brain with, and thought it might be affecting my attitude on a daily basis. That is so crazy that you posted this!
I too, cannot watch scary films. For the same reason. I get so scared when Brad is not at home, and once I stopped watching scary stuff, it all went away! I'm not scared at home by myself anymore or anything!
I can't wait until you get back!
Post a Comment