Kids are in bed, my man will be here in another hour or so (my time on this if off, its really 10pm) all is well with me! Today was MUCH better! Ty came in around 7 and I snuggled him until sister came in. I love holding my babies! I am so tired still and my house is a wreck but I just don't care.
I had the blessing of going to Ladies Class today after dropping the kids off and going to vote- which I must say was a very pleasant experience.. took me all of FIVE minutes! I have not been to Ladies Class in several weeks b/c of various reasons. I always realize how much I miss it when I am there! Those women are SO precious to me... all of them. God has really spoken through people to me and today was no exception.
There have been some things on my heart lately. I never realized how materialistic I am. Sara Kemp just posted a great blog about this very subject and I just commented basically what I am writing about here. I always had an idea that as you grow older you should be making more and more money and moving up various levels-you know maturing both physically, emotionally and financially. You know, not huge but bigger nicer house, SUV, etc. My husband is an EXCELLENT financial planner and we are never in need of anything. We are truely blessed in many many ways but also his discipline which I lack, make this possible. I am not a big spender, I am a big 'wanter'. I wish I were more content. I made a comment in class that has held true for me at different times in my life but made me realize where I need to be right now, "When you are where you need to be with God, looking to Him to lead you in ALL areas, HE blesses you with contentment."
We both drive nice cars. This would be b/c of my husband getting great deals and the fact that he will never again buy a new one! We live in a nice house in a nice neighborhood. We are able to buy everything we need at the grocery store. We are able to buy clothes when we need them.
Why do I want a newer suberban? Why do I want a nicer bigger home but also with lots of upgrades? Its never enough because I am not allowing myself to be blessed with contentment. I am not even a big shopper, I go to the mall a handful of times a year-if that! Its the status stuff that gets me. I never even knew it really until I really started thinking about it.
My priorities are jacked. Think I will make a point right now to change that.
9 comments:
This is such a struggle for me, as you know from my last post. I too think, " well, if we just had this, or just had that. a little bigger home, with a scrapbook room, and a guest room, and a playroom" What? I should be totally happy with the space on earth God has given me RIGHT NOW. I am healthy, happy and well-fed. That should be enough right?
Ditto, ditto, ditto...is basically all I can say. I think most of us struggle with materialism of some form on a daily basis. Unfortunately, I think it's an inherent part to our secular nature, which is why we have to constantly ask God for guidance and wisdom. So you're definitely not alone on this one!
You know, we want all those rooms right now b/c:
we want a toy room for all the "stuff" overflowing our house
we want a scrapbook room b/c we have to tote it all out of the closets and find a place to record our memories
we want a guest room b/c we have family/friends that come and visit us
we want a suburban b/c we have families and lots of luggage that we take on trips
so on another perspective - we think we want all these things; but it is really the overflow of blessings that cause us to think we need more. what if i did not have children - wouldn't need suburban or toy room nor a scrapbook room and i doubt my parents would visit me as often as they do! therefore, sometimes our "wants" are really a thanks GOD for our blessings!
we all struggle with that issue, but we should be contempt - but yes, easier said than done
is this coming from the lady who has given up tv?
I definitely struggle with this also. materialism/consumerism is so rampant in our culture.
Such a good post Lisa! I am so guilty of this. I have started throwing away magazines I get in the mail so I won't look or want. That is the nice thing about DVR too. We don't see commercials anymore to see the new toy out. This is so hard for me. Great, truthful post!
Amy Whittle, I totally understand what you commented. And I agree. You are right. I guess we get caught up in 'wanting' these things instead of realizing sometimes we 'need' them. Thanks for your post!
I do not think we need them, I think we want them b/c they make those blessings even more comfortable. I don't have to have a newer suberban and/or bigger house to keep up treasures basically. I don't think being in want sends a good message to my kids.
It is hard for us sometimes because the lines between want and need are so fuzzy in our society. We forget sometimes what are truly needs.
Good post!
Beautifully honest post my friend! :)
Post a Comment