Sunday, August 12, 2007

SEVEN YEARS BABY!

On this day seven years ago at The Little Chapel at Brookhollow in Ransom Canyon at two O'clock in the afternoon, we said, "I do."

Wow how we have grown during the time that has passed. A lot of big changes and I think we were challenged through travel and job change is when we have grown the most. I can truely say that today it is better than it has ever been!

I remember the day I met Trent very clearly, although it seems SO long ago now. It was on a Wednesday night in the single's class at Prestoncrest. My friend Bethany and I were actually early for once and sat a little closer to the front. A guy I had met oddly at the bank while I was measuring there, for my job, was sitting in front of us and introduced us. They had gone to school together. In a short conversation I learned he (Trent) lived in the apartment complex next to me. You have to understand that this girl is incapable of flirting and was NEVER looking for a date. In fact at this point in my life, I was done. I am not sure how much time passed before I met up with him again. It was then a Sunday when I was my usual late self with a few friends visiting with me and ended up sitting next to him on the back row in class. His first words were, "Hey, you want to go the Byron Nelson with me?" Not hi.........or how are you......
I actually already had tickets from my roomate, Amy Dickey (Smith) and instead invited him to go with us. He did. Him and four girls! Still not looking for a date there but thinking what a sweet cute guy! Amy and I ended up eating dinner with him and he took us to hit balls afterward. I had no idea the golf that my life would entail at that point! We began a sweet friendship which many weeks later led to our first date to which I met his entire family! That had never happened to me before and it was then I knew that this was going to be something special. I was beyond cautious in getting into any kind of relationship. I remember praying that day........."Please God, if this is not meant to be, spare me the pain now because I am fine being single -but I can see myself getting wrapped up in this one."
I had no idea!

This may sound strange, but I felt all along that God was pulling me toward this man. I had my doubts at times. We could not be more opposite from one another and had completely different up-bringings. I see so many things looking back now that show me how true that feeling was.
Two years later we became engaged, that could be an entirely different post in itself! Six months later we were married.

I had some not so great relationships before this one. The first time I heard this song I cried and started to sing along..........God Bless the Broken Road...........that led me straight to you! SO true for me. My husband makes me such a better person in so many ways. He not only encourages me but challenges me as well and holds me accountable. He has taught me self-discipline in many many ways. He has taught me to not be so uptight and more free-spirited. He has shown me how to laugh at myself and not be so serious. He has taught me to be more vocal in my thoughts and beliefs which in return has made me a more confident and proud person. He helps me be a better parent to my children. He ALWAYS backs me up. He demands respect for me from everyone.

We do not have a perfect marriage. I have not met a couple yet who does. We have struggles and weaknesses just like everyone else. Now we know how to communicate and work through those and own up responsibility on both ends in order for that to happen. I think that is what we celebrate more than anything else today. We are not as spiritual as we could be and that is a constant goal which is what I think has made it work. God has blessed me with this man and I would not change one moment that we have been through for the couple that it has made us. Thank you God for being a part of our marriage, through example of others, using the Holy Spirit to reach us, and feeling your love in one another over the past seven years.

Thank you for the past 9 years and Happy Anniversary Trent...................I love you forever, for always, and no matter what!

17 comments:

Chelle said...

Oh, sweet friends...happy anniversary! Hope you are having a wonderful day together.

Jacinda said...

Happy Anniversary! We celebrate 13 years tomorrow!

lauren said...

Happy Anniversary! What a neat story! Y'all are so cute together and have always seemed to me to fit perfectly! I love what you wrote about your marriage, and I'm so happy that God has blessed and continues to bless you two with a strong marriage, which blesses your children more than anything else! Also, I can't get over how big Olivia is looking! All of a sudden she's looking like a little girl! Your children are precious!

Jenni at talking hairdryer said...

Sweet post! Congratulations on the past 7 and blessings on the many more to follow!

The Binkley Family said...

Congrats to you guys!

1literatimommy said...

Happy Anniversary, Lisa.

A D said...

That was beautiful. Cody was really impressed about all the wonderful things you said about Trent - I don't know if that was a hint...
Love you guys and are so happy for you!!

April Carrasco said...

Happy Anniversary! Wishing you a lifetime of love and happiness!

Nicole said...

I really enjoyed reading that...thanks for sharing with all of us. Happy Anniversary!

Jenni at talking hairdryer said...

I'm praying for clear answers and peace about the future for you and your hubby as you consider your many decisions.

realitymomma said...

how sweet and how tender! now, i think you should let trent write a blog explaining what you have done for him! for those of us that know him (and well) know you are a special kind of lady and that he needed you!!!

we love you both and miss you both. i miss his joking around and seeing and hearing your sweetness every time.
happy anniversary and many more to come!

Sara said...

Happy anniversary!
The two of you fit perfectly. I'm so glad Trent found you 9 years ago. WE love you!

Amy McCown said...

Lisa -
I found your blog recently. Happy Anniversary. I remember seeing the two of you together at PC when I first started going there. I am glad that you have had such a good nine years.

Amy Cox McCown

Ashley said...

Sweet post! Happy anniversary! You are Trent are perfect for eachother! Love you guys

Lisa Renee said...

Amy MAC! How do I get to your blog?! I have kept up with you through little Davis and am excited for your new ventures.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. It was fun to read. C is out with a prayer group for a spend the night gathering. I, too, feel very blessed to have her in my life for 9 yrs. We miss you and Trent and your special friendship.

David

Kendra said...

I was scrolling through getting caught up on your sweet kiddos and school and your crazy, busy life when I found this post. Beautiful story. God is so very good, and I love how active He is in lives! Great testimony!! Print it out for your kiddos to read someday . .