Wednesday, January 03, 2007

In Pursuit of True 'Happyness'

As I mentioned earlier, I had the pleasure of seeing The Pursuit of Happyness last week while in the metroplex for the holidays. It was very moving to me. Everyone I have mentioned it to replies with, "Isn't he homeless or something?" That is not the point of the movie. Its actually a very small part of it and only a few nights is that what happened.

Everyone seems to be focusing on how everyone can get a job and help themselves, etc. I guess that is one way to look at it. However Chris Gardner had a job in sales and was an incredibly intelligent man. He was first in his class in highschool and went on to join the Navy and had success in the military. All this can be learned from his biography. Anyway, I only mention that to say that this guy was not a loser.

I do agree that everyone can do their part to help themselves and not just take hand-outs, but what I took away from this movie was so much more. I was very convicted in my own determination and character. I was so moved by the way he reacted to various circumstances within themselves, but also as a parent!!! I get so flustered by the smallest things and I embarassed to say that I let my attitude be effected. I know for a fact that I would not have been the parent that he was through all that he endured. His humor and faith played a major role in that.

I have had the incredible blessing of not having to work very hard for everything I have accomplished. I was blessed with a college education, all of which my parents paid for. I have never done without a meal because of money. I have never gone a night without a warm bed to sleep in. In reality, I have been really spoiled. If I have made a poor decision financially or without being responsible, there has always been someone (my parents or husband) to take up the slack and I did not have to pay real consequences.

This man was such an incredible example to me of how I want to be and what I want to teach my kids as far as determination, character, and grace go. I realize that I am given an even more incredible example in Jesus, whom I have learned so much from. I guess it just helped to see it in a more modern world in circumstances of which I can relate to after becoming a parent and working in corporate America.

There are times that I miss being in that world, because I think I placed so much of my identity in it. It saddens me to think about that because I want to find my identity in my relationship to Christ and how that overflows into every aspect of my life. I am so effected by movies, which is why I can't allow myself to watch just anything. I was reminded in this one of who I need to be and that I must not be pouring enough in for it to be pouring out.

I do not know much about Chris Gardner's faith or his relationship with Christ except that he is a Christian because his faith is mentioned in his biography. He endured a lot more in his life than the film depicts and before this part of his life took place. I guess my whole point in this post is how much of an encouragement and inspiration we can be by example, as he has been to me, regardless of how much we share about The Word. Not that we should not share, we are called to do so, but seeing this Love is just as important.

(Warning do not read next paragraph if you have not seen it)

His attitude showed this in various circumstances from giving his last $5 to a corporate millionaire for a cab despite his own situation, and with a smile while doing it. He showed everyone respect even when done wrong. I have a hard time with that I am sorry to admit. He turned a subway station bathroom into a cave to get away from pretend dinosaurs to make it not only easier but actually fun for his five year old son! Just an amazing strength of character to me. He made it back to an internship after being hit by a car and losing a shoe! I milk a runny nose! Just a few examples in the film and in true to his life.

(Safe to continue if you have not seen it)

Christmas has really lost its meaning to the majority of Americans, even believers. We make it so much more about gifts than celebrating Christ's life. Although we are not wealthy by any means, thanks to grandparents and friends our children have so much more than they really need. Kids really do not need SO much to play and be happy. I felt a little sick while looking at it all this year and being reminded (Holly :) ) that 80% of the world lives on less than $2.00 a day! Our (my little family) life has become filled with so much excess that it is border line ridiculous.

I hope that by sharing my own convitions that someone reading might be convicted as well and look to God in all His glory to be more of what he expects and calls us to be. If so, maybe HE will puit you in REAL PURSUIT OF HAPPYNESS

God Bless and Happy 2007.

12 comments:

Larissa said...

Me too! (About girls night out) I haven't seen the movie. Someone (Nathan's mom) told me that I shouldn't see it right now. But it looks like something I might like. Glad you're posting again. I too am an avid reader. Luv ya!

April Carrasco said...

You are right, we are kindred souls! Great post! Oprah says that most of us are two paychecks away from welfare. Most of us are fortunate to have family, friends, and a church family to lean on. What if we didn't though? We are so quick to judge yet we could be that person in a blink of an eye. Thanks for your words and for your heart.

Alisha Stewart said...

I love reading your blog because you are so good with words. I completely agree that we don't realize how blessed we are to be living in America.
In Matthew 19:23-24 it says, "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." I can see how true that statement really is. The more we have, the more we want. That is why it is important to deny ourselves and our children at times even if we can afford the things we think we really want.
Alisha

1literatimommy said...

Great thoughts, Lisa. I will have to put this movie on my must see list. Thanks for sharing your take on the movie. It was very insightful. And you are right; we are very blessed, and our children are to. You are so right about focusing on God.

A D said...

Wonderful post. One thought that I had on it was it showed that he didn't let his circustances own him and didn't use them to milk the system.
But see what he has done now. He is a millionaire and helps people with his money.
In the bible when they are talking about the rich man - the rich man was not a child of God - he was a child of the world. But Abraham, Joseph, David, and all the other men of God were extremely rich. The Word even says that the poor man is hated but the rich will have many friends. (Prov 14:20). The Word says in Prov 13:20 that the wealth of the sinner is stored up for the righteous and in Prov 15:6 In the house of the righteous there is much treasure, but in the revenue of the wicked is trouble. We as God's children, those who worship and live for Him, are to use the wealth He gives us, blesses us with - to give and to be a blessing to others. It is what's in our hearts that we show our true selves. If your heart is with the Lord you will be a giver. Because He is your supplier, not your check book. Deuteronomy 8:18 says "And you shall remember the Lord your God, for it is He who gives you power to get wealth, that He may establish His covenant which He swore to your fathers, as it is this day." Is is out there for us to have to help establish and distribute the Gospel and to help those in need, but how can we do that if we ourselves don't have it. It is not a sin to have money and desire nice things for ourselves but it is how we treat others and how much of our wealth we are willing to bless others with that show our love for God and how people see Him in us. It is not righteous to be poor but to give. That is why the Word says that we are to give to the poor and the needy - to show God's love. Be thankful for what you have and know that you have been blessed. Now use that knowledge and let the Lord show you how you can bless someone else. Just like in the movie, you have to step out and take charge of what the Lord tells you to do, it won't just fall in your lap - you have to go through the door.
I know - I can get preachy.

Lisa Renee said...

A D- thanks for your thoughts.......I agree that it is not a sin to have wealth, its to be in want and to be in excess. I think rich is relative. There is always someone with more. I think that compared to the world we are more than rich and in excess. I also agree with you in having a giving part, but most do not want to do that to the degree that it effect our wants rather than our needs.
I agree with doing our part and it not falling in your lap. He created opportunity and has done so for SO many others. Check out his link on the right side of my webpage, anyone who has not. I believe God will bless those that try to help themselve and are not lazy about it, as he amazingly blessed Mr. Gardner.

mammadavis said...

I love reading your blogs. You are always looking at the good in things and are such an inspiration. I wish I would have gotten to be closer to you while I was there. I will probably have to wait and see the movie when it comes out on video. Wish I had a pause button for everything sometimes.

Ashley said...

Great post! I am hoping to see it soon. What a great outlook on life and how we spend our money.

trey kazee said...

please don't be angry with me - but you know my neurotic tendencies:

it's "happiness." ;)

Lisa Renee said...

Dude, of course I know how to spell happIness! That is how it is spelled in the movie and there is a scene that explains why. BTW, sure do miss you. Did you get my e-mail?

Jacinda said...

Hi; thanks for posting on my blog. Yes, I went to ACU-class of '95! What was your maiden name? Yes, we also lived in Lubbock for a time. I think I'll enjoy reading your blog!

trey kazee said...

"That is how it is spelled in the movie..."

That doesn't make it any easier on me.

;)