Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Pulling Weeds

Well my last post does not show up so I don't know that this one will but we'll give it a shot. I had some time this afternoon while the rest of my family slept, to work out in my front flower beds. I needed to pull a lot of weeds and trim some bushes. I think this type of work is very therapeutic on many many levels. Lots of time to think with no interruptions. God talked to me during this time and I saw many parallels to the way he 'weeds' us in our everyday life. You can apply these in many ways and take from it whatever you want. Here are some of my observations:

Something has to happen to make the weeds easier to pull, like a good rainfall or moistening the ground with a hose.

At first its a little overwhelming because there are SO many of them!

Its almost impossible to get every last one in one sitting so you go for the ones that stand out and 'show' the most.

Your going to get dirty when pulling them, even if you have gloves on. Its not the most 'comfortable' thing. Its hot when the sun is shining on you. It kills your back even if you sit to do it!

You have to make sure to get them at the root and not just pull off what shows or they will just come back, and even bigger than before!

They seem to be more plentiful near the 'good' plants, taking their water and trying to overpower them.

Its SO satisfying when you get a big one by the stalk and yank it out by the root and then see the soft dirt all fluffed up in its place.

Even though some are pretty and have flowers on them, you don't necessarily want them in your flower bed.

There are all kinds of nasty slugs deep under the surface that you don't even know are there until you start digging.

Although its hard work, the flower bed is SO much nicer to look at when they are gone and you are finished, well you think your finished............

Its a continuous process, they will keep popping up, even if you try to prevent them with weed killer, spreading blackout fabric and mulch. It just nature for them to do so. Its just better if you watch often and get them when you first see them and they are small, or it becomes quite a task and your back to being overwhelmed.

6 comments:

Candice said...

Very wise my friend! I love that! I'm glad you got to enjoy some quiet time. Isn't our God so wonderful?!!!!

Stephanie said...

I love this post. I am a weed puller myself. It is thereaputic and I do love to make correlations between the earth, weeds and our Christian walk. It's so amazing how God uses His nature to help us see! We've been worried here about rain. It just hasn't rained in so long. We have water restrictions and my shrubs and plants are dying. But guess what! Those nasty old weeds and grass are bigger and more prominent than ever!!! They are everywhere! Funny how the grass in the lawn is brown, but the grass I don't want in my flower beds is tall and green! I really need to do some work out there, but it's just too hot!!! Please, God, send us some rain!!

Jenni at talking hairdryer said...

I heart working in the flower beds!

Anonymous said...

Lisa,
I loved this post. You could publish that it's so good! And so true! Reminded me of when we read "the Fruit of the Vine" in good ole Carrollton group. I love you and loved reading about what's going on with you guys. Take care!

1literatimommy said...

what a great metaphor! this was so deep, and i think it is awesome when god talks to you during every day tasks. the whole garden theme is very relevant! you are a smarty pants, lisa! :)

Lisa Renee said...

Is anybody else having trouble blogging? My post from August 10 will not show up and I have trouble getting to anyone else's too! HELP!