This is what I called my great aunt, originally named Thelma Emma Phillips but after marrying her husband Joe, Thelma P. Ater. She was my Nana's sister. My nana, whom I was VERY close to, passed away six months after having a stroke when I was just in sixth grade. My "AA" kind of stepped in and resumed the role of my grandmother until she passed away this past Saturday on June 10th. She was 91 and lived a full life but many were still not ready to lose her. She was not your typical elderly lady. I have so many wonderful memories of her and visits to her house growing up. She lived the last half of her life in Alamogordo, New Mexico. It was always a fun time with her and Joe. They were quite the active and humorous little couple. He passed a few years ago and she just hasn't been the same since. Her health declined but she continued to be active. She got to where she needed some assistance and was able to move in with her grand-daughter Linda who lived just up the mountain in Cloudcroft. They had a very special relationship since Linda was young and I know she is probably going to miss her the most. She has been so blessed to have Thelma on a daily basis. My Dad looked to her as a second mother and is deeply saddened as well. We traveled for the visitation and funeral this week and returned last night. It was so strange going to that town and not being able to visit with her. All the "could've, should've (s) went through my mind. Trent and I kept wanting to plan a trip out there to see her and then he took on more and more responsibility with Sprint and began to travel extensively and it just never happened. I think the last time I actually saw her in person was at my wedding 6 years ago. She was listed in the program as my grandmother. I have talked to her on the phone several times since but wish I could have spent more time in person with her. I dedicate this Thursday Thirteen to her:Thirteen Wonderful Memories of Thelma Emma Phillips Ater
January 4, 1915- June 10, 2006
1. Her love for The Lord
2. Her love for ALL of her family
3. Always saw the positive in people
4. Her fun and wonderful sense of humor
5. She had such a grace about her.
6. Reuben Sandwhiches
7. The way she loved to watch the hummingbirds drink from the nectar on her back porch.
8. The way she liked turquoise jewelry and wore a beautiful ring on her hand.
9. She nicknamed my Nana, "Doty" because of her being the youngest sister and how their father would "dote" on her.
10. She lost a son to cancer that she never let leave her heart. He continued to always be the most important part of her life other than her Lord. She loved his wife as a daughter and was such an incredible example of a Godly woman.
11. Never missed a birthday or Christmas my whole life, with a super sweet card and always gave me a check with the amount of the year I was turning.
12. Her spoon collection from all the places that she traveled to.
13. Her voice, I can still hear her.
I know that not many of you knew this sweet lady but I hope that I could give you a little glimpse of wonderful she really was. I hope that I can be the type of woman, wife, and mother that she was in many many ways.
3 comments:
I know she would have loved your thursday thirteen today. She, too, was lucky to have your family.
I think it's so wonderful to know someone like that in your life. I know the kind of person you are talking about, and there are just no others like them!
Lisa, I'm so sorry I didn't realize who she was in your life, Tim told your great-aunt that had passed away, I wasn't sure if y'all were close. I'm so glad she was such a rich blessing your life, I have NO doubt you were a special blessing to her!
Post a Comment