Does it exist anymore? Everything that comes on past six O'Clock has the "Viewer Discretion Advised" before it. We used to watch CSI, Law and Order, and other stuff like that when we are actually home to watch television, Ty sits there and watches it too and its pretty disturbing to a two and a half year old. I thought he couldn't possibly understand what was going on at his age but the scenes are pretty graphic now days with all the dead bodies and all.
So the other evening, home just me and kids trying to cook dinner, found "Stewart Little" on ABC Family channel. Yea, something clean! I thought I have found a solution for something Ty can watch. Tried it again last night while doing laundry, nope.... "Big Daddy" with Adam Sandler was on. Is this now what they consider "Family" television???
So..... flipping around found a "Goofy" movie on Disney. Thought, that is good. Can't go wrong with Mickey Mouse! Well at the end the good guy wins but the bad guys are fighting and one says to the other, "Put me down you big fat JERK!". I also heard them call each other stupid. Things I am trying to teach Ty are 'bad' words! I am finding that a lot of cartoons now have mean words in them too like idiot, jerk, and things like suck and crap!
What the crap? HA- just kidding. Trent and I use this term (not in front of Ty of course!) occassionally reminiscing about Jason Donoho. Along with a thumbs down and spitting... but back on to the subject... Can kids watch anything besides Elmo and Wiggles DVDs anymore? Not that we watch THAT much T.V. but there is an appropriate time for it and not a lot of options.
For the last two days, other than the morning Wiggles, I have had the television completely off. This has been a little easier to do with Trent out of town (Boys Weekend), otherwise we would have to have it on for the PGA and ESPN! Ty picks up the remote all the time and says, "Daddy's" HOW SAD IS THAT!!!!! Also easier with it being so pretty outside, however its been real hot out here so we have limited that time to the mornings and late afternoon.
I think we rely too much on television as a culture. Some t.v. is okay but all day? No wonder so many children are obese now! Let's get back to what used to work, outdoors, indoor 'activities', etc. Its hard to do and get things done around the house as well, but I have started to try and include Ty in these activities too, as much as you can someone his age! I think its Dr. Phil that said in his Family First book that there age appropriate jobs for every age and its good to start at a young age not only to help out but to teach some resposibility. He picks up his toys each time we leave the house or when we are done in the bathtub or even outside. He can bring me his shoes and put them up and bring me his plate when he is done. I never fill a cup unless one is brought back to me!
Okay, I am off my soap box on the television issue but would like to hear thoughts from others.
8 comments:
Yes, I am home from church. I have gone the last two days with only one hour and 45 minutes sleep until last night and had both kids in with me this morning and did not set alarm!
T.V. has changed since I was little. Censors took out things that would be hard for little children to understand. This was many years ago. Today, I usually watch the history channel, discovery channel or the western channel in the afternoon. The western channel usually has a Gene Autry, Roy Rogers, or some film that has a moral lesson at the end of the story. The days of Hopalong Cassidy stories are long gone. I am to the point that if I want to hear foul language or dirty words, all I have to do is go back to where I taught. I want an uplifting story with a good message, not a shock value movie.
love---
Dad
Hi Lisa! I completely agree with the frustrations of television. I've really been trying to make it a rare activity for my girls.
I was cracking up at your reference to Donoho! I miss the fun times from our PC group!
Besides toons in the morning, when it is just me it is HGTV. When Cody is home it is usually ESPN, but I have noticed that he likes HGTV too!
Lisa,
I totally agree; tv is much to prevalent. (I type this as my kids are watching Elmo, though!) It is difficult to find good tv. I actually read in a study in one of my classes that it rots your brain, just like Willy Wonka said!
Scott and I were TV junkies until pretty recently. I hate that primetime starts in Texas at 7 instead of 8! Anyway, since we don't have Tivo, we've had to give up most of our TV watching until our kids are in bed. It's been good though! We've spent a lot more QT together!
I agree.
The other day the Family Channel had Cruel Intentions on it. REALLY family TV?
I'm just now getting caught up on blogs, and I'm enjoyed getting caught up on your life! I loved seeing pics of you. You look so good! I hope I look that good when I have a 6 month old! I'm still at the stage of tv, where I don't have to think about my kids seeing what I'm watching, so I still watch everything with "viewer discretion advised", but I'm sure that in a couple of years, I'll have to wait till he goes to bed! I also don't think tv is good when you use it as a babysitter. A little bit is not bad though, especially when it's educational. Thanks for your advice on my blog! I have been torn and sick about this, but I think I've decided not to do it. I'm going to tell her today, and I'm dreading that call!
Post a Comment