Saturday, November 21, 2009

SO sad my favorite holiday gets jipped!

I have written about this before but this year especially I am sad that nobody cares about Thanksgiving, well except to eat the meal! I think its especially bad here in Lubbock Texas. The irony is that it JUST NOW has become Fall. Leaves turning, having fires, wearing jackets, all of these things taking place for the first time in November. Nope, this town likes to go straight from Halloween to Christmas. Lets just pretend its winter! I LOVE a 'boutiful' Thanksgiving table, mine is the only one that I know of here. I am sticking to my guns with my family. Someday when my kids are grown and coming back for this holiday, I want them to really feel like its Thanksgiving instead of three months of Chrismas! I know so many people here who do not even have Turkey on Thanksgiving!!! I guess tradition is out the door.

We are having Christmas/Thanksgiving with Trent's family this wednesday. I always enjoy the meal and family, regardless of our Christmas surroundings. We even take all of our family Christmas pictures that day. This year its red white and denim, at least there is no green. I try to cut my MIL some slack since its her favorite holiday ever. I remember the first time on Halloween that I came home with Trent. We left after work from Dallas, so of course we arrived late. As we pulled on their street their house was the one lit up in lights and I could see the tree, which by the way is comparable in size to the one at the mall, through the window. I was in disbelief! You know, she is a pretty wonderful lady, so I let this one weirdness slide. Since we have moved here I have realized that she comes by it honest. The whole town is pretty much the same way. There are four houses in our neighborhood that have had their lights up and on for well over a month.

I feel like Christmas is being shoved down my throat in this town. I am sad to say that for the second year in a row I am not keeping with my tradition of putting up Christmas decor the night of Thanksgiving or day after, but instead am doing it today, the Saturday before and I am not one bit happy about that. It does make sense though because Thursday morning we are leaving to have Thanksgiving at an extended Philllips family's home and then that evening going to my parents where we will spend the weekend. I would wait until this week, but I am afraid it will be too busy with school things going on as well as I am always exhausted in the evenings after working all day. My energy level is probably the best today and we actually had nothing planned all day! I love Saturdays with no plans! So here I am half way through the decorations and taking a break to be a scrooge. It is fun opening boxes because I never remember exactly what I have, which is the case whichever day it is that I am decorating. I am just not ready to pack up the fall before we have had Thanksgiving.

I am not letting the Thanksgiving festivities end even though our tree is up! We are making turkey shirts today for the kids to wear to their school parties this week and then on Wednesday and Thursday of next week. We will just put sweaters over them for the Christmas pic at Meme's. We are making sugar/turkey cookies to take to our family in Fort Worth Tuesday! I can't wait to go to my mother's house which will be all fall for the occasion. I always enjoy sitting on the back porch which is lined with corn stalks on each post and pumpkins while drinking spice tea or pumpkin coffee.

Don't get me wrong I LOVE Christmas, there is just a time and a place!

3 comments:

Chelle said...

No friend, it's EVERYWHERE! I personally don't think Christmas stuff should be up until Dec 1st. Stores started displaying things before Halloween around here. CRAZY!!!

The Binkley Family said...

So with you. The other day something was said about Thanksgiving and i thought, oh yeah--we haven't had it yet. You are so right about that switch from Halloween to Christmas. I blame it on the media. Do you really hear anything about being Thankful when the "latest" toy is being shoved down your throat?

I agree that in order to make it what it is supposed to be, we just have to be purposeful.

Jennifer K said...

I agree it is everywhere! My neighbor asked me today when our lights were going to go up and the pumpkins thrown away! I said Thanksgiving isn't until Thursday, we still celebrate that. :) It was all in good humor, but all day I was noticing all the lights and decorations already up. I refuse to do it. I don't care about my low energy...it will happen before Dec. 25th! :) Enjoy time with your family. And HAPPY THANKSGIVING!