Monday, February 04, 2008

God tugs in mysterious ways.....

Well this story begins several years back, almost 8 actually, when Trent and I were married. At this time I inherited a monstocity of a television from his bachelorhood. I absolutely hated it in our house in Lewsiville. When we moved here, my father-in-law built this beautiful entertainment center that is built into the wall around it which made me grow to love the mostrocity b/c after this it was part of the room and not so much of a monstracity anymore! The built-in matches the rest of the built-ins in our home because the builder gave us the doors and hardware to put on it and we painted it to match. This built-in actually 'makes' the room. Well the television is now 10 years old and died sort of three weeks ago. Actually it just wouldn't turn on while T was away at his conference. Well after three weeks of going back and forth with a guy that repairs 'on the side' we came to the fact that they no longer make this part that it would take to fix it. So.............

We went T.V. shopping. We were torn with what to do. We did not want to buy a specific t.v. to fit our built-in b/c our house is forsale and we hopefully will not always have it. It could work definately and would be an awesome t.v. We looked at several but just didn't 'feel' it. We both were a little excited the thought of a shiny new updated t.v. Also, our kids have been in our bedroom watching 'the other one' ever since and that is getting real old for lots of reasons. They are monkeys on our bedposts, we have had several falls. O gets into our bathroom if we walk out of the room, and our room is OUR room!

So we go to church yesterday. There is also a situation there where we are in a stewardship position with our church adding on to create more classrooms. We have been praying about that and how its all going to work, we are actually on the "Prayer Emphasis" team so this is a vital part. Okay, that being said, we are in class studying the minor prophets and it hits me what the theme is, which is also pretty much the theme of the entire Bible.........God is saying, "Worship ME................Worship Me......................Worship Me, Its NOT ABOUT YOU....Its NOT ABOUT YOU.......Its NOT ABOUT YOU over and over and over again. Then a class member makes the comment, "I truly belive that in order to reach true spirituality you can not be entertained." I think that was directed at being entertained by the world, your worship service and by society's material standard of living. Pretty deep.

Anways, T and I had both been pretty quiet since Saturday with all of this on our minds and then after class on the way to eat we both came to the same conclusion. Sort of neat how God does that. We decided not to replace the televison. That is money that could be spent elsewhere and time that should be spent with our family and changing our ways to be God focused instead. We also made the decision to get rid of the one in our bedroom.

This is going to be SOOO hard!!!!! We are not big watchers but do in the evenings and are starting to realize a lot more than we thought. I love having this as 'downtime' after the kids are in bed or when they are not here to watch my own stuff!!!!

I am not posting this to brag to say, "look how good we are to get rid of a material item"! I am not saying we will not ever own a t.v. again but for the time being we are not. I am posting this more to share how God is tugging at our hearts in a direct, really sort of wild kind of way. We were talking yesterday how other people deal with this. I had the "why us!" attitude I am ashamed to say! T helped me to see it as a blessing that God would tug in this way. I am sharing in order for others to see how God works in ways you may not even want to see and how its a choice really of how distracted you want to be. I did not think of myself as not wanting to be spritual. I also don't think that not having a t.v will make me spiritual, its what I choose to do with that time instead and my attitude towards it. THIS is where I need encouragment. Its also a little akward b/c I have only told one other person before this who is also a Christian and thinks we are real weirdos b/c of it! I don't want people to see us as going Amish or something but know when you come to our house you won't get to watch a show! The television that will remain in the built-in is there to help the house 'show better' not for actual usage, it doesn't work! Please still visit us though! Had our television not broken we would not even be at this point. The picture never went bad. No sign of anything going wrong. Just wouldn't turn on one day. That is very strange in the technology world. Do you think God has the power to take away our individual television set? I do.

12 comments:

Chelle said...

If you believe in your heart that is what you are to do, you best do it. Otherwise, you are simply being disobedient to something God is calling you to. Kudos! :)

SS said...

WOW! It's so encouraging to see that people still allow God to direct their thoughts AND actions. Chelle was right in her comment about believing what is right in your heart. Thank you for being such good examples. On the flip side, I guess we know who WON'T be hosting next years super bowl party:)

Larissa said...

You know that's funny that you should post this, b/c I was just thinking about this very thing last night. I was at this house that had 3 t.v.'s in the living room/dining room/kitchen. You could see the t.v. from anywhere you were sitting. When Nathan and I split, I was glad to get rid of the big screen, b/c I hated how it was a shrine in the house. The house is on fire, forget the pictures, someone grab t.v!!! I think that is so wrong. And last night as I saw all those t.v.s I remembered how I don't miss that at all. People do begin to worship it and it's wrong! As harmless as one may think it might be. I have a tiny old t.v. and no cable. and that is just fine with me. I think that's awesome that y'all chose to do that, especially as a couple. Don't worry I'll still come visit, I never came for the t.v. anyways!

The Binkley Family said...

I think it is great, too! And I don't think you guys are weird. We have several friends here who don't do the TV thing. It works for them.

Keep us posted on what God does in your life as a result of your willingness to give something up!

Lisa Renee said...

Just so everyone knows, this is not because it works for us!! I am really sad about it! I also don't think we are the only ones God is tugging at to not be so excessive in money or time I just think not many people want to feel that tug, such as me!!!! It is NOT MY desire to not have a television right now and I think its obviously HIS.

My whole point in this post was to show that our own desires don't necessarily matter its if we choose to meet HIS or not. Do I think people who have a t.v. are bad for it? Absolutely not. I think we are not disciplined enough to balance time with ours and I think God wants our money that we would spend on a new one to go elsewhere because of that.

Look for what He wants from you in your life and try not to be so greedy with whatever it is! Don't just listen to sermons if you go to church. What is the point?! Is it just social to be Christian and go to a church? Sometimes it is for me, but I am starting to be hit deeper and harder. I hope you will be too.

Summer said...

I love that idea. I think it is awesome. I try to watch as little tv as possible anyway (who has time for it) and it has struck me lately how much I depend on it to entertain my kids. I need to do better about that...

Michael Ann said...

toughy!!!

I think that you guys are awesome for listening for God in a circumstance like this. You are already growing in faith in this experience and God will bless you for looking for Him in this!!

Traci said...

WOW! I am really impressed after reading this. You are following the path that Gad has clearly laid out for your family at the right time. I am definitely one of those people that ignores some of the tugs unless it's right in my face.

I can't wait to hear all the good things that come from this decision!

Jennifer K said...

You and the kids can come over anytime you need a little entertainment!:) It has got to be hard.

realitymomma said...

wow! i couldn't even give up my satellite last year! now i am too busy for tv, but yahoo for dvr. however, if you asked me to give up ipod, well that would take a lot of tugging. if you can give up tv, i would think i could give up chocolate....but i will let that remain a thought!! lovin' your thoughts and perspective and priorities above all.

A D said...

I know what you are saying Lisa. It is not the "TV" per say, it is putting God first and listening to Him about the distractions that prevent you from having a relationship with Him. See I miss my satelite because I miss the 4 hours of Bible teaching I watched. But I know that I have to develop my relationship w/God which means spending time with Him. So my routine of getting up before daylight, before the kids and Cody wake up to spend time thanking Him, praising Him, praying to Him and thanking Him has not changed. Is it hard to get up early every morning and not sleep in on the days I don't have to work, OH YEAH! But I have made it a priority because I know that unless I spend time with Him I can't truly know Him and what He wants for me, what I am supposed to do for Him. My mission that He has assigned ME with. We all have one, you just need to listen where yours leads you.
Through this and my passion to talk about Him all the time I was led to write a book with several other book ideas already waiting to be written.
We have to listen to Him and do what He wants us to do. He knows the path He has made for us and knows how to acheive it even if we don't. But you have to listen and then obey.
I love you and know that the path you are taking is narrow and we all stumble because the devil doesn't want us to follow God path. But you know that we are here to listen, help and pray where and when you need us.

Sharon said...

Lisa -
I'm so glad that you and Trent are growing in your spiritual walk w/ God. (This is such a departure from the Trent we used to know in college - he was such a gadget guy! - so I know it must be hard) I'm so proud to have you guys as our friends & no, you are not wierdos! We don't watch much tv - other than what we DVR (just as Amy said). Be strong! :)