Friday, March 23, 2007

21 Day Challenge

I have always heard that it takes 21 days to form a habit or discipline. I had the t.v. on today for special Liv time while Ty was down for rest time. We were playing on the floor and I heard a preview for an upcoming Oprah show where she is challenging a member of her staff to go without complaining for 21 days!!! She, being Oprah, responded with, " I think it would be hard to go 21 hours!" I have been pondering (that word shows my current location coming out in me doesn't it?!) the idea ever since .

I have a dear friend named Denise, whom I admire for SO many reasons, but mostly for her genuinely positive spirit. I have always wanted to be more like her in that way, well many ways actually. I think I do well at it when things are for the most part normal and good but things like my house being on the market and just not whole lot of showings has given me the revelation of how negative I can be when things are not going my way or on my time frame.

All of this leads me to take that challenge on myself in hopes of forming a habit of being positive. I would like to open that challenge to anyone who is reading. If you accept, comment so. We will have to go on the honors system and report if we are out of the game, myself included. I tend to be more successful at goals when there are others keeping me accountable.

I know that this something that God has always expected of me but I struggle and want to change. I will blog again in 21 days regarding the challenge to report the outcome. Those I see on a regular basis, feel free to call me out on anything you see or hear. I really want to know! I am mostly scared to tell Trent about it, but I know he will hold me to it which is what I need!

Have a great weekend!

13 comments:

Larissa said...

Interesting...I am going to have to think on this one. Not on whether I would want to do it. I am always game for doing something that I believe will challenge me or better me, but just the actual idea itself. I think it's interesting, b/c when you try to be more positive I think it does something good for you, and changes your energy. So, not complaining for 21 days...that's something you have to take seriously if you really want it to have effect. This could be VERY challenging for me! Have you already started?

By the way, seriously thank you so much for making me feel special today. I don't even think that thank you is a big enough word I can say to you or so many people who have continually prayed for me, checked up on me, and just loved me! I'm just so blessed!

corichad said...

Oh Lisa...you are not alone. I hear you- especially about the house thing. It is like my day is good or bad depending on if we have a showing or positive feedback, etc. It is so hard not to get completly caught up in it. If it makes you feel any better we have had 20 showings in 3 weeks and just one very low ball offer. 2 of those weeks it was priced too high which explains, but still I've learned that lots of showings doesn't guarantee a sell.
I know what you mean about wanting to smack the Harpers, except that Krista's house has been my refuge when we have showings, so I am glad hers is not showing right now. I will however be very bummed if she moves before I sell.
I will accept the 21 day challenge...no complaining about the house being on the market or showings or lack of. Do I reserve the right to be just a wee bit irritated that I have to wipe down the bathroom floor and shake down the bathmat EVERY morning. I won't complain out loud ,but can I think it in my head?

Lisa Renee said...

Okay, this is not as easy as I thought it would be. Apparently my sacasm can be considered complaining. This has really made me think before I speak and how to word things so that they don't come across a negative way! Especially with the kids! I have already goofed once but that goof up made me realize all the more and has made me focus on not doing it again! Although this is quite a challenge, its already doing me some good! I am guessing by the lack of response I am mostly alone in this, with the exception of Cori! Thanks girl! And as far as thinking complaining........that has been the hardest thing so far! Especially while irritated! Let's pray for each other on that issue as well as the house!?!

April Carrasco said...

Wow Lisa! This really made me think. I want to go 21 days without complaining. Everyone around me might be in shock, which is a sad thing! Great post.

corichad said...

You need to go to Meredith Moore's blog and read the quote at the top. When I first started reading it I thought it was Mer writing, and I thought, wow this girl is wise...then I read on down and it Charles Swindoll. Anyway, she is wise to have it on there. It was good for me to read. I think I have complained this weekend...we had a plumber come out at 8 in the morning on Sat, so you can imagine where my complaints stemmed from.
About the "thinking complaining," I think that is what affects my attitude the most and puts me in a bad mood...so I probably need to work on that as badly or worse than my outloud complaining.

Lisa Renee said...

Satan is doing his best to make me drop out of this. I am trying to just state facts without necessarily complaining. I need prayers big time today.

Erica said...

I never think I am complaining much until I start paying attention to how my comments really sound. We could all do better I am sure. I have always wanted to be one of those people who never has anything but a genuine smile on their face but it is so hard when life gets in the way. Good luck with the challenge...you have inspired me too.

realitymomma said...

ok, lisa, i heard the same thing and give yourself some slack... if you mess up, you can start the 21 days over. it has taken some people 3 mos to conquer this task. sarcasm is challenging. another sarcastic person would laugh, a sensitive person would not! i too, just wrote about the 21 days to break a habit - mine is chocolate. i will attempt the negative thing with you, but sister, it will be even more challenging without the resucing of chocolate! i wish there was a patch for that too. maybe when you see me at easter, i will be 5 pounds lighter and more positive. and hey, whether or not i lose any weight by then, you will have to tell me i look beautiful and you've never seen me looking better - or you will have to start your 21 days over. i will most definitley look forward to seeing you!

lauren said...

OK, I saw this on Oprah and was inspired to do it! I think I'll start today, so I'll let you know how it's going!

Nicole said...

I saw it on Oprah, too, and it is definitely good to pause and evaluate yourself. I think I am too much like the make-up artist and wouldn't last 20 minutes. I may give it a try though!

Lisa Renee said...

21 days starting over today! I won't go into it, b/c that would be complaining but before I took this challenge I would have thought it was TOTALLY justified. Prayers still needed here!

Traci said...

Oh Lisa. The best I can do is pray for you. I don't think I could get through 21 minutes without complaining.

It's my birthday week so I don't have many complaints for a few days! That's good, right?

lauren said...

I understand what you're talking about (just a fact, not a complaint!) :) I have started over so many times, but it's fun and today was better than yesterday. I blogged about it if you want to check it out!