1. Does anyone else have a toddler who basically eats the toothpaste before the teeth get brushed? I have to reapply so much its ridiculous and he just doesn't "get it" when I say don't eat it!
2. Has anyone else ever forgotten the very first thing on their grocery list!!!???!!! Trent wrote in an item at the top and I guess I overlooked it b/c it wasn't in my handwriting. I felt terrible. I also forgot the most important thing, cake mix for Olivia's cupcakes Saturday!!!! Its my daughter's first birthday, what kind of a mother am I? Also still have to go to Party City to get the plates, napkins, decor items but I am saving that for when my parents are here Friday to keep the kiddoes for me.
3. Does anyone other than me require at LEAST two cups of coffee before being able to start housework? I can do things like get my children milk and take Ty to the bathroom in sort of a half-eyed stupor but when it comes to being productive I have to have a stimulant. Sad isn't it.
4. Does anyone else have their quiet time, devo time, on the toilet with a closed door? It seems to be the only place I can get un-interrupted time to myself after Trent is home and kids are in bed. My friend Courtney gave me the idea two years ago. It has been especially helpful since my daughter was born. Its only about 10-15 minutes but it has really helped me! I think I have written about it before but "Keep It Simple, For Moms on the Go" is great and I reccommend it to EVERYONE! Thanks to Ruth Williams I enjoy it daily!
5. Am I the only one who gets giddy with excitement about circulars or catelogs in the mail? I love stacking them up and then looking at them while in a warm tub about once a month. I do a lot of shopping that way b/c I don't go many places to buy things other than Wally World.
6. I also get a weird excitement from re-filling things. For instance, when we have been out of things and I finally get them at the store and go around putting toilet paper in the cabinets, re-stocking the changing table with diapers, more coffee grounds in my canister (my favorite), paper towels on the holder, etc. There is a weird satisfaction in that. Also a feeling of being blessed to be able to do that when there are many in the world that consider all of those items a luxury.
7. Does anyone else keep the change they find in pockets while doing laundry and keep them in a jar above the dryer and when its full move them to the change purse in the car for the Sonic fund?
8. Am I the only one who is obsesssed with keeping their children's clothing from being ruined by stains? Yes I understand they are in fact children but I guess I hold the people who are with them while eating responsible. For instance, if a toddler is going to eat carrots, take her sweater off just leave her shirt on and put a bib on! Is that too much to ask? I am nervous every time I hand out RED kool-aid to my three year olds at snack, at least they have sippy cups. However, there are a lot of their moms who send red and purple drinks in their lunch that are not in a sippy cup or have a straw. EVERY day there is a child who stains their clothing with it. I have used my own Tide To Go on more than one occassion and a child came back in the same shirt the other day with a stain that did not come out. I will not give Ty spagetti with a shirt on! Yes, he is almost three in less than a month! Other people whom he has been left with will and then I am left with the 45 minute stand at the washer doing pre-treatment to stains, some of which will never come out and its not like we can replace every item.
9. Does anyone else have a toddler that despite taking them to the restroom before every meal inevitably will have to go once all trapped in their booster chair? Usually its right after my first bite of the meal.
10. Anyone else LOVE the smell of bleach and lyesol? Maybe its just the knowing that things are clean. Especially on the kitchen sink every night. That is the one thing I have definately stuck to from The Fly Lady!
11. Does anyone else hang shirts in the closet sorted by long and short sleeve and then by color. T-shirts of course are a whole separate category. I do the same with shorts, skirts, jeans, capris, and pants. Also divided up into Winter and Summer in halves of the closet. I could write a book on the drawers!
12. Anyone else despise wire hangers other than me and Mommy Dearest? Other than the marks they leave on clothing, they are always in a tangled mess!
13. Anyone else pump up the volume on their stereo system occassionally to get down with the fam? Thanks to Trent, Ty could fit right in at a club at only three years old! The boy has got some moves and sister already shakes it and nods! Its hysterical but we have a great time. Probably something not right about seeing a toddler and one year old jamming to "I'm Bringing Sexy Back!"
Can you tell my life revolves around my children and cleaning by my list? I just thought about that! We had a guest speaker in Ladies Class yesterday and Kerri and I were commenting on her big words and how being out of that professional environment for awhile made it a little refreshing! To think I used to live by my planner, dress professionally every day, and do laundry once a week makes me laugh now! My how my life has changed. I realized I have a lot of black clothes from that time in my life and am well equipped for Sunday morning until things go out of style, I am verging on that since I have been out of the workplace now for a little over three years! Haven't had a design job in 5! Pure craziness. Haven't done a Thursday Thirteen in quite a while so I thought I would take a break while waiting for the dryer to cut off and make for some good entertainment.
12 comments:
That was great to read!! I have just discovered the most fabulous way to get stains out...Oxyclean. I save up my stained stuff and once a week i treat. Goes like this...treat stained clothes with Spray-n-wash then put them in the machine with warm water and two scoops of oxy...let it start and fill and agitate for about a minute....then, let it sit overnight. Works great!!
Okay. While I have often wanted to be a mom like you, I am now resigned to the fact that I can never be (I just gave my 2 one year olds who have never sucked a paci a day in their life each 2 pacifiers, just to have a moment). The fact that you're obsessing about wire hangers indicates it might be time for fresh air. I'm just kidding. Of course I love getting the Best Buy circulars, just to dream about new refrigerators!
Yes my children eat the toothpast and I don't think it even touches their teeth.
Yes my closet is organized my shirts-short/long sleeves, pants and skirts - never have by color, I would go crazy.
Yes I gather all the shopping mags and enjoy sitting in my chair with a pen and make my wish list.
Yes my children almost 3 and 4 still take their shirts off to eat spagetti - we did just last night.
And yes I hate when people feed my kids stuff that stains and don't care to try and prevent it.
April D.
You are hilarious, lisa! I actually don't worry about stains very much. we have our nice clothes, which I take off, and hand me downs and used clothes that I just don't worry about. (after living with me in college, I am sure that won't surprise you!)
AT LEAST two cups of coffee. . .stain, shmain. . .I would love all my hangers to be the same plastic color, but alas, I have to settle for mostly white with some blue
I am worn out reading your list. I only wish I could do half of the things that you do!
That was hilarious! We pump up the jam quite often. Nathan doesn't really get involved, but the kids love it. I also enjoy restocking things. It is a nice feeling to have "extra". Thanks for the laughs. Oh and I will agree with the bathroom. There is something about the bathroom that brings forth deep thought...don't know why!
I can relate to so much of that list! I have to agree that oxy clean is great, but there is an even better product called M30 from Dollar General. It comes in a little tub that looks like car wax. It is kind of goopy but can even get out permanent marker and stains that got missed and made it through the dryer. I might have paid $2 for it, and have used it for years!!!
Man I can relate to almost every comment on your Thursday Thirteen.
Coffee? YES. Definite.
Hangers? Ha. that's a Brad issue.
He hates the wires! And I have tons of them that still live in my closet from high school.
Stains? That sux. I really don't worry too much about the stains either. I really should as much as I spend on her clothes.
Circulars? Oh my, I LOVE THEM.
We have so much in common! Ha!
Thanks for the stain tips. There are some I haven't done before. I do the spray n' wash and oxy clean but the rubbing takes some time. I will try the agitating and the Dollar store stuff! I just like to prevent having to do any of it if possible. Is that not realistic? In some cases maybe but not for the bulk of them.
Yes...I am planning to try the Dollar General stuff. Stains are taking over in our house! I thought it would get better with age, but AK is probably the worst!
Loved your thoughts Lisa!
I love reading your blogs and the way you think. Everything on your list fell under my life too. It is so nice to be reminded of the funny things we and our kids do that are overlooked like kids eating toothpaste or jamming out to lound music. My kids favorite song is "Booty, Booty, Booty, Booty, Rockin Everywhere!" ...I so miss being around you.
Post a Comment