Well quite a bit has happened since I last blogged. My parents came to visit me for my birthday on Feb 12th. We were supposed to meet the next morning (my actual birthday) at Cracker Barrell for breakfast. When my mom called and said they could not make it I knew it was serious. My Dad was having trouble standing. I went over immediately and we took him to a walk in out patient care center. After 4 hours and several tests he was sent home with constipation. They were wrong to say the least. His pain and ability to hold himself up severely worsened and he was not able to move any extremeties by around 8. We were still thinking sever dehydration and pumping him full of liquid which he never did expell. That morning he went by ambulance to the ER, several hours later and the same tests later it was determined he had a massive spinal stroke. Three clots down his spinal column and one in his neck. He actually become quadraplegic. He was then taken to surgery (lasted FIVE hours) to remove the clots and had massive bleeding while doing so. The neurologist came out shaking his head saying it did not look like he would make it and advised us to stay at the hospitial. He said he would be surprised if he made it the next 12 hours. I prayed for God to prepare my heart to hand him over but also that if my dad could be the one to astound doctors and not be able to deny devine intervention, that I would love that as well. Well HE chose the latter! PRAISE HIM! The doctors were shocked and are still vocalizing this!! The neurologist said his arms were a loss but he may have mobility in his legs. This has turned out to be the opposite. He ended up spending 5 days in ICU and then moved to a regular room for two. He has since been moved to a rehabilitation hospital and has now been there five weeks. He does therapy all day every day and has regained quite a bit of movement in his arms and hands. Working on fingers. He has involuntary twitching in his legs and they have not responded as much. He has a power wheel chair now and will likely be there until the end of summer.
So it has ended well but with many adjustments. My parents have a second home here but their main residence is in Arlington Texas. My Dad has been outside once in over a month. He has a wonderful nursing staff but has had many night complications which have led to infection and prevented therapy the next day. This is where he needs prayers. He will most likely leave the hospital in a wheel chair. We are just glad he lived to do so. There will need to be major changes in vehicals, the house, bed, bathing, etc. As well as adding to my mother's role as wife AND caretaker. His spirits are high but he has his days.
It has been particularly hard to not be as involved as I would like due to me having my own family of three children one being a toddler. I wish I could be the one there every day making sure things were taken care of and keeping them on their toes. Thankfully my aunt who is retired has come to stay and balances out the time with my mother. My dad is only alone at night.
Baseball season has started back and I am doing the kid shuffle with piano and dance added to the mix everyday after school. I also still have my business which is going great. I have hired an assistant which has helped tremendously. There are alot of divine intricate details there that can only be the hand of God. I am still working part time at preschool, two afternoons a week. My husband regularly works 12 hour days. I am a bit tired. He is run down and so am I. We have had off and on winter and spring for the past month and we all have horrible allergies, ashma, etc. My three year old is the biggest challenge of my life. He brings me so much joy but much frustration as well. I am a firm parent. It doesn't work!! I think he needs more of my individual time and his dad but its just not possible right now. Lots of challenges going on right now.
Not quite the blog that most people follow! No original home decor posts or inspirational message here! Just begging for prayers. I have realized that its the simple things that bring happiness. My dishwasher is out and although I am doing more dishes than I EVER have, it gives me a lot of time to think, meditate, pray. My Dad's situation made me realize how much I take for granted. I remember coming back for an hour and a half b/c they made us leave ICU. We went back to their house and I sat in his big green chair and saw his slippers and glasses and just lost it. Thinking he won't ever wear thoses again. Well he just might now. Every time my legs are sore, I am thankful.
My dad's name is Maurice. He is a sweet man and the only one that ever read this blog. Please take a moment to pray for him. Pray for my mother Cheryl, and my aunt Martha as they devote their days to him. Pray that I can balance this crazy life and be the daughter he needs me to be right now. I am the only child. Thank you if you came here and read this far!
No comments:
Post a Comment