Saturday, May 05, 2012

Pantry Organization that can come back to bite cha

I am in the minority of recycling people in my town. I know... I know.. .lets just say the priorities are, well- different here in A LOT of ways! Anyways- two years ago I think? I finally organized my pantry. A fellow blogger inspired me to do so. I used baskets I already had (those gingham lined ones are from Pottery Barn and have been in my laundry room cabinets at my last house and on playroom shelves back before three kids and we had a playroom!) and bought some air tight acrylic bins for snacks and a wire grocery basket on clearance at Hobby Lobby and the bottom green basket was from world market but cheap. I also bought that 'plastic' burlap sack to hold all the plastic walmart bags for trash bags. See the thing is, I was using reusable bags but I buy WAY too much stuff and the bags were taking up too much room before I had bought everything I needed. So I only use them now if I am running in to get just a few items.  I take almost everything out of boxes and recycle those. We FINALLY have a cardboard bin at our local place that we are responsible for taking our own items to. We also are responsible for sorting clear and color plastic, same on bottles and slicks from paper.  JOY! Its not convenient by any means but i have Huge containers in my garage that I take about once a month. 

Back to the pantry. This was a great idea at first, to have the snack basket accessible to the kids. They are required to take a snack to school each day so I buy a variety of things like rasins, pb and cheese crackers, nutellea and breadsticks- thanks to Cita, granola bars, and chex mix and have fruit out on the counter, they pick what they want and are responsible for putting it in their bag. These items are for NO OTHER time! I have other stuff for at home for after school snack. If they got these things whenever they wanted we would go through them too quickly.

Well here inlies the problem. A Toddler who can reach them too and does whenever he wishes. Most things he can open himself. GEESH! I may have to re-think the organization because he is quick and sneaky about it too!

2 comments:

Alyssa said...

Love your organized pantry!

Unknown said...

Looks great, Lisa! I am a recycling fanatic as well as an organizing freak. I'm really digging your blog, keep up the good work!