Tuesday, January 24, 2012

American Idol and Discipline...

I was not an early AI fan. I always liked the beginning when they are searching cities and then the finals between the top ten. Last year was the first time I watch an entire season. I really don't do a lot of television in general and always heckled reality television. Ironically my favorite show this past year (other than Parenthood of course) was The Sing Off!! WHAT AN INCREDIBLE SHOW! SOOO many talented people!! Anyways....

Me and the kids were headed to my oldest son's piano lessons after school today. I must say he is quite a musical little dude and has a lot more talent than me for sure! Well I guess most people are. He announced that when he turns 18 he will be heading to LA to where he plans to become famous. I said really, I thought it was New York?? Background: He has been a HUGE spiderman fan almost his whole 8 years, and this is how he knows about NYC and wants to be a citizen :) He informed me that yes he still plan on New York but that will be after he makes it big in Hollywood because that is his life long dream. I said simply, Okay buddy! I asked him what is so great about being famous? He said, because you get to be rich! I told him you can work hard and earn a lot of money without being famous and he re-itterated that its his dream. I said again, okay go for it. Inside, I was a little sad. I mean I want him to have dreams and try to reach them but I am sad that its not just playing great or singing great. Its that being famous is included in that. Something about that just does not sit right with me.

On a completely different subject I wanted to share with other people, assuming that maybe somebody out there besides my dad reads this and just never ever EVER leaves a comment, that I have found something that makes my children really think about how they are acting when they go into a full on ridiculous WHINE....Are you ready... wait for it... wait for it... TAKE THEIR PICTURE OR VIDEO them in the act. My daughter gets VERY embarassed when she sees herself and I have to say its been the more effective of the tactics I've used this year. I also bring my baby's toys out and place in front of my 6 and 8 year old when they are acting like the toddler should but doesn't :)

6 comments:

Maria said...

Love Love the idea of video taping Aidan when he whines. Thank you for the tip :)....

And did you notice I am leaving a comment?

Lisa Renee said...

Haha! Thank you Maria. I sure do miss you!!!

Anonymous said...

I started to work on my blog this last week. It gives me an outlet forl thoughts. Know how you feel, at my age I don't expect anyone to read them.
Love you--
POP

Linnea said...

Great words on being famous! I am sure Ty will be a hit! When my kids start talking about money and being famous, I try to always redirect them. I tell them it doesn't matter how much money you have or how famous you are, its only Christ that will complete you.
:)linnea

Lisa Renee said...

This was written with a lot of background going on and I totally meant to make the connection of American Idol contestants putting their whole life and well being on making it famous. It makes me sad everytime I hear one say that.

Sharon said...

Ooohh, this is such a great idea, Lisa! I will have to keep that in mind for the future!!